Thursday 26 February 2015

An Honest Liz Earle Review

A few months ago Kirst started hogging the bathroom more than usual, standing at the sink for ages and running up our water bill with excessive use of the tap. Intrigued as to what she was up to twice a day I probed her, and realised that the culprit was the Liz Earle Cleanser. 

I'd seen the product before (and all the hype that comes with it), and with a glowing report from Kirst, the next time I went into Boots I couldn't help but be tempted. I had been looking to update my skincare routine for a while, and this just seemed like the perfect opportunity. 

I needed both a cleanser and toner, but somehow completely forgot about my student budget, and ended up purchasing the Daily Essentials Kit (£45.99). I got the normal/combination set, which is advised if you are unsure of your skin type. 


Despite the initial scare of the price of the whole set, when you add up each of the products individually (and the bonus of the exfoliator) the value is actually pretty good, and seems worth it for the amount you get. 

The first thing to note about the kit is that if you are lazy with your skincare routine, do not bother buying this. I am incredibly vigilant with cleansing and toning twice a day (no really, I can't count the amount of times I've woken up from a night out and my cleanser and toner have been on my bedside table with no memory of me using them), so the amount of steps didn't phase me at all. But I can't deny that it is effort, so consider this before you make such a pricey purchase. 


Included inside is two Muslin cloths (£4.50), Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser (£14), Instant Boost Skin Tonic (£14.50), Skin Repair Moisturiser (£20) and the Gentle Faced Exfoliator (£11). 


First up, the Cleanser. One of the main reasons that I wanted a new cleanser was that my skin never really felt clean. I would take off my make-up with a wipe, then cleanse using L'oreal and a cotton pad, and would still wake up in the morning with make-up on my face. The Liz Earle cleanser completely eliminates this problem. It's gentle, but thorough and leaves your skin feeling squeaky clean, and refreshed. I apply the cleanser, leave it for a few minutes, place the cloth in hot water and rub it off, lay the cloth over my face and then rinse my skin with cold water (opening and closing the pores). 

I really do love this product, but there is a BUT. It seems to have given me spots. I'm not sure if my skin is doing that whole 'get worse before it gets better' routine, so i'll have to hold out, but after 2 weeks I'm definitely more spotty than before. 


In terms of the actual product, I love the Toner. Like the Cleanser it really does work at making your skin feel refreshed, and as though all the dirt on your skin has been removed. My only complaint is that I dislike the bottle. You twist the top and tip the solution onto a cotton pad, and then twist the lid back down to shut it. In theory this sounds fine, but I find that solution comes out when you close the lid, and it just always feels as though it is going to leak. Apart from that though, it's a great product.

Kirst has the toner that sprays and absolutely loves it, so I would recommend this as a more practical option. 


For me, this is the best product in the whole kit. I couldn't even begin to count the amount of moisturisers I have tried. None of them worked, and they either made my skin look greasy, or did not provide any moisture at all. This one is perfect. I absolutely love the smell (I couldn't tell you what it smells of, it just smells clean), and it's the perfect consistency to spread well, without using too much. My skin looks completely hydrated, and stays looking so throughout the whole day. 


I usually hate exfoliators. When I think of exfoliating I think of the Clearasil ones that I used to use when I was in the shower, with the big beads, gloopy texture and the dry feel that they would always create on my skin. Well rest assured the Liz Earle exfoliator is nothing like these products. It feels more like a cream than an exfoliator, with just a slight rough texture that acts as a gentle scrub to revitalise your skin. Applied in between the Cleanse and Toner (I use twice a week, although it says use when necessary) it creates an even smoother touch to the skin. 


Overall I do love this range. My skin feels cleaner than it ever has done before, and the dryness that winter has created really does seem to have been eliminated. While it does take time to complete the whole routine properly I actually do enjoy doing it (it feels nice to look after yourself), so for me it's not a problem. 

Would I recommend? Yes 

Is it worth the price? The moisturiser definitely is, but I think the other products could be slightly cheaper.

Does it live up to expectations? Hmm it does, but it's not as perfect as most bloggers make out (sorry, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't have some moans!). 


Emma x 









No comments:

Post a Comment