Saturday 14 February 2015

From Halls To House

Thursday morning, VERY hungover, Em & I were laid on our kitchen floor, attempting to get the cap off of our washing machines filter (eh?). Yup, this week our washing machine broke. 

We tried, we really did, for a good hour in fact. We were trying to be independent and prove that we could cope without Tim, our maintenance guy from halls. But, to our dismay, we were left with a wet kitchen floor, an increasing headache and a phone call to make. Thankfully, our landlords are pretty good and came round the next day to discover it really is broken and our new washing machine is now on its way!

So, this got me thinking of the differences between first and second year of uni. You join first year convinced you're leaving home and going to be so independent, when in fact you are in the safe hands of the security guy downstairs. Your shower isn't hot enough? No problem, Tim will sort that for you!

On the plus side, when the fire alarm goes off I can now just wave a tea towel around and the piercing sound stops. Last year, we were left standing in the car park at 5am because someone decided then was a perfect time to cook. The thought of that now seems unbearable, yet last year we weren't bothered at all and in fact found it quite amusing. 

I've now come to realise that this is because of the lack of responsibility. I knew it was someone else's job and I could moan to the moon and back because it wasn't my problem to fix.


Moving In Day!



Last year, if my rent wasn't paid on time I would email reception to tell them it would be a few days late - "no problem" they'd say. Nowadays, if I told my estate agent my rent would be a few days late, I would hear the words "that'll be an extra £35 per day". Shocking. I know. 

Oh yeah, estate agents are not good to students. They aren't good to many people but they really are awful to students. Small tip, which you will hear from every student, don't take everything they say and accept it. If they want a £400 admin fee, knock them down. It's extortionate. Another thing, read your tenancy agreement before signing! They really do worm some corkers in there.

There are so many things you have to adapt to when you begin second year, but it's not all bad! I do not miss my tiny single bed along with my tiny room. But an en suite? Yeah, could do with one of those..

Happy Moaning!
Kirsti


No comments:

Post a Comment