Wednesday 11 February 2015

Long Distance Relationships: The Arguments

They say making up with your partner is the best part of fighting. Some couples even enjoy arguing because the making up is so enjoyable. This, I can tell you, is because of the wonder that is make-up sex. So what do you do when your boyfriend is thousands of miles away? When the chance of intercourse is zero and instead you get a lousy ‘sorry’ text.

It’s tough. Long distance relationships are tough. I didn’t realise just how important reassurance is in a relationship until my boyfriend moved away. Normally, it would just come from being in their presence. You argue, you both say sorry, cuddle, kiss, you know the rest. A new conversation begins and all memory of an argument is gone. Nobody prepares you for that to change, or at least nobody warned me.

It’s as if there is no proper end to a fight if you aren’t stood in front of each other. As a whole, a lack of reassurance can put a lot of pressure and anxiety into a relationship. Normally, your partner would call and ask if you want to go for dinner, or if you want to chill and watch that film you've been raving about for weeks. Suddenly everything revolves around words. Yes, you can send a nice card or present via post and remind them that you’re thinking of them, but how many students can afford £7.50 postage (Seriously, do Royal Mail not offer student discount?)

If you said this to me a two years ago, I would say that I’m not the kind of person who needs reassurance. I would say that I don’t need my boyfriend to tell me he’s missing me or he saw something that day and it reminded him of me. But long distance relationships are a whole new world, a world where suddenly “actions speak louder than words” is pretty much irrelevant. It’s time to man up and say your feelings out loud. Misunderstandings are frequent and communication really is important. We all know how easy it is to interpret a text wrong, and we’ve all had an argument spiral out of control because your tone of voice was ‘stressy’.

It’s important to take the time to not only check your messages before you send them, but make sure the relationship is of equal sides. Remember that your partner isn’t a mind reader, and sometimes it’s nice to wake up to a ‘hey! you need to watch this film, I know you’d love it’. Be careful not to jump the gun, and most importantly – make time for each other. Just because you cannot physically be together, doesn't mean that you stop making time for them. Find a time that you can both have a proper conversation, whether it be on the phone or on Skype.


Its tough (I’ve said that, haven’t I?), but it is worth it. It just takes a lot of getting used to, and a lot of moaning along the way..

Kirsti 

No comments:

Post a Comment